WA Health system

Access my WA Health medical records

Under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (external site) you can access your WA Health medical records.

This service is free and applications must be in writing.

You must give us:

  • an Australian address to which we can mail notices (this is required under the Freedom of Information Act)
  • enough information to clearly identify the medical records you want
  • proof of identity (such as a copy of a valid driver’s licence or birth certificate).

Who do I contact?

Each hospital or health service in which you have been a patient holds a separate record of your treatment at that hospital or health service.

Find out who to contact to get your WA Health medical records.

Can I have changes made to my medical records?

Your personal information can be changed if it is incorrect, misleading or out-of-date.

You will need to explain why the information should be changed and give details of the changes.

Can I access information about another person?

Generally you can’t access information about another person.

More information

For general advice about WA Health medical records, including from hospitals that have closed down, telephone 9222 2311.

Private hospital medical records

Unfortunately we can only help if you are seeking records from a public health service.

You will need to contact the private hospital or healthcare facility directly to get a copy of your medical records.

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.

Link to HealthyWA Facebook page